|Mother's ship:||Catherine to Adelaide|
|Age when admitted:||9yrs|
|Date admitted:||15 Oct 1862|
|Institution(s):||Queens Orphan School|
|Remarks:||won good conduct prize Jan 1864 - stepfather Thomas Gleeson per Kinnear|
|References:||SWD26/5, 27, 28|
Catherine Whelan was born in South Australia to William Whelan and Winifred Moloughney. Her step-father, whose name she later adopted was Thomas Gleeson.
Catherine, aged 19, married William Briers, aged 21, a carpenter on 10 May 1872 at St Peters Roman Catholic Church, New Norfolk. William was the son of Robert Briers and Lydia Jelley. Witnesses at the marriage were her half-brother Thomas Gleeson and half-sister Winifred Gleeson.
Children of the marriage:
(1) Winifred Louisa Briers born 1/1/1873 married Joseph Heri Marsh.
(2) William Edwin Briers born 18/1/1875 New Norfolk. Died 1878
(3) Susan Elizabeth Briers born 15/11/1876 New Norfolk. Died 1890 New Norfolk.
(4) Lydia Mary Briers born 16/6/1879 New Norfolk married James Thomas Miller, New Norfolk.
(5) Edward John Briers born 6/10/1881 New Norfolk married Victoria Hannah Louisa Kingshott 1910 Hobart.
(6) Catherine Elizabeth Matilda Briers born 16/1/1884 New Norfolk married Samuel Arthur Wilton 1900 Lachlan.
(7) William Bernard Briers born 15/12/1886 New Norfolk married Beatrice Mary Aiken 1913 Hobart.
(8) Patrick Norman Briers born 25/3/1889 New Norfolk.
(9) Joseph (Vincent) Briers born 19/3/1891 New Norfolk. Died 16/1/1900 Lachlan.
Catherine’s second marriage was to James Alfred Wakefield on 6 Sep 1893 New Norfolk (son of James Wakefield and Catherine Conradina Conrad).