Ellen Johnson, born in 1866, and her older brother, John Johnson, born in 1862, were admitted to the Orphan Schools (then known as the Queen's Asylum) early in 1869. Their father was James Johnson, a convict who arrived on the 'Joseph Somes'; their mother was Mary Salmon. In 1868, Mary and her children were living at Mangana, near Fingal. Mary was out of work and James Johnson, a labourer, was in gaol in Launceston for felony. James and Mary were not married. Three other children were named in the admission application: James Johnson, aged 12; Thomas Johnson, aged 11; and Mary Johnson aged 2. [James and Thomas were admitted to the Queen's Asylum in 1863]
The application also noted: 'This woman is also known by the name Marr'.
Mary Salmon, a young housemaid from Kildare, arrived in the colony on the
convict ship 'Tasmania' (2) in 1845. Her convict records note that she was also known as Lyons. In September 1849, she married John Kewley (or Rewley) at
Longford. An infant daughter, Hannah, died in 1852. A son, Richard, died in
1854 after Mary had separated from her husband. Mary had many colonial
offences for drunkenness and for being idle and disorderly. She died on 23
December 1896 in Launceston, as Mary Salmon or Kewley.
Ref: SWD 26/1/1