|Orphan:||Emma Elizabeth WOODS|
|Father:||WOODS, Roger Henry|
|Age when admitted:||10yrs|
|Date admitted:||22 Jun 1832|
|Date discharged:||9 Oct 1835|
|Institution(s):||Queens Orphan School|
|Discharged to:||J Horne|
|Remarks:||arrived as a family 1830 - father Superintendant of Convicts, dead - Emma Elizabeth married Charles Haywood 1840|
The five children of Roger (or Roderick) Henry Woods and his wife Anne, were baptised on 4 Nov. 1827 at St Marks Church, Kennington, London.Â Their names were James Fitzwilliam born about 1819, Emma Elizabeth born about 1821, Nicholas Augustus born about 1823, Henry Roderick born about 1826 & Mary Ann Catherine born about 1827, all probably in Surrey.Â The parents, Roger Henry & Anne Olley married at the same church on 18 Sept. 1829, & on the 6 October following, the family sailed on the "Bussorah Merchant" from the Downs, England.Â They were accompanied by Anne's mother Margaret Fenton & brother Richard Fenton.Â Also on board were 200 convicts.Â
The "Bussorah Merchant" arrived in Hobart on the 18 Jan.1830.Â Roger Henry Woods had been appointed Principal Superintendent of Convicts by the Secretary of State for the Colonies, but the Lieutenant-Governor, George Arthur, opposed the appointment and the relationship between the two men was stormy.Â After refusing to attend the Executive Council to formerly answer 13 charges, Woods was suspended from his appointment & his salary ceased.Â Woods left his family in Hobart & returned to England to defend himself at the Colonial Office.Â Mrs Woods, unable to provide for her children, placed the four younger children in the King's Orphanage, & tookÂ James with her to Sydney.Â Emma Elizabeth & Mary Ann Catherine were admitted on 22 June 1832, Henry on 23 June 1832 & Nicholas on 11 Sept. 1832.Â Woods re-married in 1841 & had another son.
Emma Elizabeth left the orphanage on 9 Oct. 1835 aged 14 years to work for J. Hone Esq.Â On the 25 May 1840 she married Charles Haywood, a convict, who arrived in Hobart on 29 December 1832 per the "York".Â Charles Haywood had been convicted of Highway Robbery & sentenced to be transported for life in the Warwick Assizes.Â He was a Brass Castor & set up his business in Elizabeth Street, Hobart, making many bells & brass numbers for pews in churches in Hobart.Â In 1851 he made two handsome six-burner chandeliers for solar lamps with shades for the new extended Legislative Council at Parliament House.
Emma & Charles had four children, Charles Duncan b.1842, Ellen Ann b.1844, Emma Louisa b.1845 & Samuel Thomas b. 1851.Â After a fire at the Haywood foundry on 27 Dec. 1854, Charles commenced a Confectionery & Pastrycook business, which was also very successful.Â On the 15 February 1855, Emma Elizabeth Haywood nee Woods died aged 34 years from Disease of the Liver.Â Charles Haywood remarried six months later on 15 Aug. 1855 to Ellen Sparrow.Â