|Also known as:|
|Burial Date:||07 Mar 1876|
|Index Death Date:||03 Mar 1876|
|Death Notice:||06 Mar 1876|
Free settler John Blackwell left London in 1819 aboard the Regalia bound for Sydney. However after eloping with fellow passenger, Mary Flintham (No 191), he and his new wife decided to stay in Hobart Town. Blackwell received a 300 acre grant of land across the New Town Rivulet from what became the site of the Orphan School. He established a farm and tannery on the property.
Blackwell’s was one of the first tanneries in the colony and he was also perhaps the first person to be prosecuted for polluting the New Town Rivulet (1823) with the contents of his tan tubs.
Over time Blackwell sold off most of his original grant but kept a small farm close to Creek Road where he passed the rest of his life. This property was called ‘Taplow’ and later ‘Colebrook’.
John and Mary Blackwell had ten children all of whom survived into adulthood.
Although John Blackwell was identified with Hobart Quakers the seven youngest Blackwell children were christened at the parish church of St John’s New Town.
John Blackwell died at ‘Colebrook’ aged 88 having outlived his wife by 25 years. His obituary was printed in the Mercury of 20 March 1876.